Congressman Veasey (TX-33) Demands Accountability, Answers During House Energy and Commerce Hearing on Texas Power Grid Failures
WASHINGTON D.C. - Today, Texas Reps. Marc Veasey (TX-33) and Lizzie Fletcher (TX-07) joined their colleagues on the Energy and Commerce Committee to hold a hearing to investigate the Texas power grid failures during last month’s winter storm that left millions of Texans without power or heat for days. Today’s hearing specifically examined the causes of the recent widespread power outages in Texas and how to fortify the electrical grid against extreme weather events and climate change.
“Last month, at least 57 Texans lost their lives, millions across the state were left without power, and we were just minutes away from Texas’ power grid completely imploding,” said Rep. Veasey. “Today’s hearing brought us one step closer to ensuring a catastrophe like this never happens again. By examining why this failure happened and holding Texas leaders accountable, we are working to advance long-term solutions to fortify our grid.”
Witnesses for today’s hearing included:
- The Honorable Sylvester Turner, Mayor, City of Houston
- Bill Magness, President and Chief Executive Officer, Electric Reliability Council of Texas
- Hon. Christi Craddick, Chairman, Railroad Commission of Texas
- Michael Shellenberger, Founder and President, Environmental Progress
- James Robb, President and Chief Executive Officer, North American Electric Reliability Corporation
Watch today’s full hearing here.